Monday, November 06, 2006

Ringing Off The Hook

How have people with famous names found insignificant me in an ordinary town? For the past few weeks I have been honored by telephone calls from prominent people. H0w I deserved to be noticed by the likes of Andrew Cuomo, General Wes Clark, Rudy Giuliani, etc. is a puzzle. But after all this time the thrill is gone. I am reluctant to pick up the phone, lest it be Andy or Rudy again, saying the same old thing, asking me to vote for them or for their friend or their party.

Add that to the many calls from volunteers reminding me to vote and who they think I should vote for. I am overwhelmed by the number of calls interrupting my daily activities, and underwhelmed by their apparent belief that it will do some good. Do these calls ever change anyone's mind about a candidate, or prompt the huge number of people who never vote to go out and vote?

And then, while surfing merrily along I came across this:

http://the-brooks-blog.blogspot.com/2006/11/reminder-for-american-readers.html

where a Brit kindly adds his tuppence to the mix.

I know we shook many Brits up badly by the result of the 2000 US election - almost as badly as most of us were shaken. Quite an optimist, this Brit, hoping to make a difference.

Still I will, as always, be at the voting booth tomorrow, not so much hoping to make a difference, as thinking that we never will if we don't all vote.

I used to feel that the only time our opinions made a difference was when we voted. But after the 2000 election I remain uncertain about that. I'd love to have my mind changed after tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home